Programme Officer, SuLMER - IUCN
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Job Location||Cox's Bazar|
|Deadline||31 January, 2023|
Unit: Bangladesh Programme Coordination
Organisation: International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
Location: Bangladesh Project Office, Cox's Bazaar, Bangladesh
Reporting to: Senior Programme Officer
Work percentage: 100%
Expected start date: 15 February 2023
Type of contract: Fixed-term (11 months)
Closing date: 31 January 2023
IUCN, represented by its Bangladesh Country Office, is implementing a project with support from the UNHCR to implement human-elephant conflict mitigation activities in and around the forcibly displaced Myanmar nationals camp in Cox's Bazar. IUCN requires a Programme Officer for smooth operation of the project in Cox's Bazar, over the project period.
Under the overall guidance from the Country Representative and the Programme Coordinator of IUCN Bangladesh, and under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer of 'Humanitarian-conservation actions for biodiversity protection around Rohingya refugee camps of Cox's Bazar district project', the Programme Officer be part of a diversified team and will be responsible for implementing the project activities in Cox's Bazar in the light of the Project Partnership Agreement (PPA) between UNHCR and IUCN.
- Ensure and maintain proper coordination with CiCs, site management, Project Management Unit (PMU), UNHCR and other relevant sectors or agencies for smooth planning, coordination and implementation of Sustainable Land Management and Environmental Rehabilitation (SuLMER) activities
- Lead all the major assessments and studies in SuLMER sites, especially for developing a watershed management plan, water discharge capacity, risk and vulnerability, water quality monitoring, social survey, etc., through the engagement of experts, volunteers, and developing multi-year planning for SuLMER site management.
- Planning, budgeting, supervising and monitoring the SuLMER site's waste cleaning, excavation, bridge and culvert construction, side wall construction, walkway construction and paving, grass carpeting and plantation activities.
- Supervise and coordinate year-round maintenance operations in SulMER sites in coordination with other agencies.
- Supervise and engage plantation watchers, volunteers, and youth club members throughout the year for plantation, care and maintenance, awareness raising and community outreach programme.
- Plan and supervise all types of procurement, transportation, and labor engagement activities in SuLMER operations.
- Guide and accompany donor and partner's visits and disseminate the success, challenges, learning and future planning regarding SuLMER sites.
- Lead, supervise and coordinate all community awareness-raising and outreach programmes in SulMER sites.
- Supervise Programme Assistant (PA) and Senior Programme Assitant (SPA) in management of plant nursery, warehouse, Eco-shed and Kalamchara walkway maintenance operation.
- Supervise PA, SPA and monitor Human-Elephant Conflict (HEC) mitigation initiatives in camp and host community, youth engagement in environmental protection, plantation and camp greening initiatives, beehive, bio-protection plantation and different studies in energy and environment sectors.
- Assist the project team in implementing the project by developing and implementing the work plan and designing and conducting surveys, assessments, research, and field interventions;
- Develop a monitoring protocol with specific indicators in line with the PPA and use it in project performance monitoring from activity to results levels;
- Act as the focal point for ensuring all project deliverables, project reports (technical, financial, and operational), progress reports, workshop reports etc. are submitted and accepted by the donor on a timely manner as per the agreement;
- Assist IUCN Bangladesh in building networking, partnership and collaboration with the government, non-government, national and international organizations and relevant stakeholders by consultation with UNHCR and IUCN for understanding the key areas of conflict and opportunities of the project;
- Coordinate in organizing different project events with people of concern and other stakeholders (e.g. discussions, meetings, workshops, training sessions, knowledge-sharing events, and promotional opportunities for the project) in Cox's Bazar and other parts of the country;
- Contribute to IUCN Bangladesh's integrated programme planning by providing inputs into project proposal development, project management, implementation and monitoring, workshops, publications, and papers;
- Contribute to the growth of the IUCN by designing and implementing projects under thematic areas, particularly on biodiversity conservation and natural resource governance, and in the light of the IUCN Programme 2017-2020;
- Assist in developing and submitting proposals to appropriate agencies to fund initiatives complementary to the UNHCR-funded project and in line with IUCN's mandates;
- Support the institutionalization of relationships with members, commissions, partners and other organizations of IUCN Bangladesh's constituency;
- Ensure that IUCN's and UNHCR's policies and mandates, as outlined in the PPA is, duly complied with in all project activities; and
- Undertake any other tasks that the Country Representatives, Programme Coordinator and the Project Manager of IUCN Bangladesh may assign from time to time.
- Master's in Forestry, Environemental science, Geography, Urban and rural planning, hydrology, Zoology, Wildlife Biology, or other related fields.
- At least 5 years' professional experience relevant to the assignment as defined in the terms of reference.
- Good presentation, writing and spoken communication skills in English and Bangla are essential.
SALARY: The minimum gross annual salary for this position is BDT 1'242'464. While this is an indicative amount effective as of the current date, changes may occur as per IUCN's compensation practices without prior notice. The same applies to other organisations hosted by IUCN.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the "Apply" button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.