Supreme Court wonders about the accused’s power since he had been avoiding arrest for four years
The Appellate Division (AD) has suspended the bail for Alamgir Hossain, an accused in Bir (valiant) freedom fighter Faruk Ahmed murder case in Tangail.
An Appellate Division bench headed by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain passed the order Thursday, responding to the state's appeal.
The murder case accused surrendered before a court after four years of the charge-sheet submission. While the bench was informed about the matter, the chief justice told the accused's lawyers, "How powerful you are that nothing could trace you in four long years!"
Another judge of the bench Justice Obaidul Hassan said, "The accused will surrender after the charge-sheet is filed. What took the accused four years to surrender?"
The defendant's lawyers AFM Mesbahuddin and Ruhul Quddus Kajal said the case statement did not name their client and that the name came in the charge-sheet. But no witness said anything against him, they added.
Deputy Attorney General Biswajit Debnath said 23 out of 31 witnesses in the case have already given testimonies and the trial is at the final stage.
He argued if the accused is granted bail, he will threaten the remaining witnesses. "The High Court has directed to complete the trial of the case within six months and the trial of the case will end soon," Biswajit Debnath told the bench.
Justice Obaidul Hassan then asked the deputy attorney general when the accused was granted bail. Biswajit Debnath replied that Alamgir got bail on 10 January this year.
"He surrendered after remaining absconding for four years and got bail within just two months," Justice Obaidul Hassan seemed surprised. Following the hearing, the Appellate Division then stayed the bail disposing of the state's plea.
On 18 January 2013, Awami League's Tangail chapter leader Faruk Ahmed was shot dead.
On 3 February 2017, police submitted a charge-sheet against 14 people, including former lawmaker Amanur Rahman Khan Rana and his three brothers.
On 6 September of the same year, the court began the trial by framing charges against the 14 people.